Location: Delhi (possible), Chennai (possible), Jaipur (possible)
Reports to: Vertical Head
Our package: Competitive and commensurate with experience and skills.
Contract type: Full-time, permanent
Staff reporting to this post: 3 to 4 direct reports (Senior Research Associates, Research Associates).
Screening checks: successful candidates will be asked to undergo background/reference checks.
Application deadline: applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
Application details: Please send your applications to firstname.lastname@example.org, with the position mentioned in the subject line.
ABOUT LEAD AT KREA UNIVERSITY
LEAD at Krea University (formerly IFMR LEAD) is a non-profit research organization conducting high-quality scalable action research and outreach in development economics and finance. We create ‘knowledge for impact’ with a vision to solve complex challenges and enhance socio-economic prosperity. We do this using the power of data, innovation, and co-creation, combining interdisciplinary approaches and multi-stakeholder partnerships.
ABOUT THE POSITION
LEAD at Krea University has been playing a principal role in the development research sector for many years under different banners, but with the same enthusiasm, rigour, and intellectual curiosity. Thinking about the future, LEAD is positioning itself to expand its role and thought leadership in the sector. For this purpose, we are actively seeking motivated, organized, and self-driven individuals for the position of Sr/Research Managers who will support and lead the growth and implementation of LEAD’s research agenda in the research sector.
We are looking for a professional with a Masters/ PhD, a robust understanding of the development landscape, and that is capable to connect the dots across themes and issues (gender, social protection, environment, entrepreneurship, etc.).
The successful candidate will be a strategic thinker and will also be able to manage and execute research projects in time, within budget, and keeping the highest standards of work.
The selected candidate will lead and mentor junior research staff and work in close collaboration with senior team members to co-develop new research ideas, supervise research projects, and expand the team’s project portfolio. In the short term, she or he will be given a leading role on several high-level ongoing projects, while contributing to the development of the team’s project pipeline. The successful candidate will have excellent communication skills (both verbal and written) to be able to present the team’s research to various stakeholders and in various national and, possibly, international platforms through a wide range of mediums. Demonstrated experience conducting applied and experimental research (including conducting and designing evaluations) is essential and a strong understanding of financial inclusion is highly desirable.
- Be accountable for and provide substantial inputs into project design and implementation, in consultation with Vertical Head.
- Maintain a positive, constructive, and co-creative relationship with LEAD’s stakeholders and partners as well as contributing to growing such network
- Provide leadership and be accountable for the development of new research ideas, and proposals. Provide leadership and monitor recent and relevant sector trends and develop plans on ways to expand LEAD’s research agenda.
- Liaise with policymakers, regulators, and academia to identify gaps for action research and establish partnerships to expand the projects portfolio of the financial inclusion team at LEAD.
- Be accountable, proactively contribute to, and lead the development of policy briefs, blog posts and other publications to consolidate LEAD’s thought leadership in this sector.
- Contribute to capacity building activities within LEAD.
- Strong quantitative skills, including competency with STATA /R/Python
- Excellent oral and written skills in English
- Independent worker; takes initiative to lead and manage multiple tasks and propose solutions with minimal supervision
- Ability to work in multiple teams and on multiple projects simultaneously and collaboratively
- Motivated to travel to work various places in India
SKILLS, EXPERIENCE AND KNOWLEDGE
- Master’s degree or Ph.D in Sociology, Economics, Development Economics, Political Science, Development Studies, or related disciplines.
- A minimum of 3-7 years of work experience (2 with a PhD) in a progressively more responsible position in research, monitoring and evaluation, or implementation in the development sector, preferably in financial inclusion (at least 5 years of experience in financial inclusion are required);
- At least 2 years of experience in applied research and experimental methods;
- At least 2 years of experience managing a team.
- Proven analytical skills, including, specifically, skills working with quantitative data using econometric methods;
- Excellent knowledge of current developments in inclusive finance, including one or more of the following: micro-insurance and micro-credit, social protection systems (DBTs, G2P), digital financial services, branchless banking, MSME, health.
- Working experience and knowledge of socio-economic issues, which results in the exclusion of various groups, such as women, migrants, tribal groups, from the financial sector and ability to generate strategies to address those issues;
- Demonstrated ability to develop research and evaluation plans, sampling frameworks and to implement them;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills;
- Proven ability to manage multi-tasking and propose solutions in a timely manner with nominal supervision;
- Capacity to maintain an organized and structured work style in a fast-paced environment;
- Ability to lead and manage the team
Strategy and Management
- Ability to guide and support the development and implementation of the Quality benchmarks and assurances in research projects;
- Helps to consolidate and disseminate ‘lessons learned’ and promotes a culture of openness and exchange;
- Keen sense of understanding donor needs, and ability to convert ideas to successful initiatives
Internal and External Network
- Contribute to exchange good practices between other verticals and external agencies/delegations/ donors/ platforms;
- Foster and participate in ideas exchange platforms/ seminars/webinars related exchanges with the sector stakeholders;
- Follow up on the latest developments related to the vertical and contribute as a thought leader to information dissemination and maintaining relations with stakeholders;
- Ability to demonstrate sensitivity to cultural differences and gender issues, as well as a commitment to equal opportunities.
- Ability to demonstrate an openness and willingness to learn.
- Ability to adapt quickly to changing environments and work with multiple stakeholders.
- Strong interpersonal skills, and willingness to interact with a wide range of individuals from Research Associates, Sr. Research Associates to academics, donors, research institutions, etc.