Location: Delhi (preferred), Chennai (possible), Jaipur (possible)
Reports to: Executive Director
Our package: Competitive and commensurate with experience and skills.
Contract type: Full-time, permanent
Staff reporting to this post: 2 to 3 direct reports (Research Managers and Research Fellows), 4 to 6 indirect reports (Senior Research Associates, Research Associates).
Screening checks: successful candidates will be asked to undergo background/reference checks.
Application deadline: applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
Apply here: Please send your applications to firstname.lastname@example.org, mentioning the position applied in the subject line.
ABOUT LEAD AT KREA UNIVERSITY
LEAD at Krea University (formerly IFMR LEAD) is a non-profit research organization conducting high-quality scalable action research and outreach in development economics and finance. We create ‘knowledge for impact’ with a vision to solve complex challenges and enhance socio-economic prosperity. We do this using the power of data, innovation, and co-creation, combining interdisciplinary approaches and multi-stakeholder partnerships.
ABOUT LEAD’S HEALTH TEAM
LEAD’s Health team has been at the forefront of the sector for over 15 years, contributing to its growth and development in India and beyond. We leverage technology and data across all our work both as a means to promote access to health and as a tool to improve service delivery. The human element, including social norms, behaviours, and capabilities, is at the centre of our work. We work with a vibrant group of partners, including universities (in India and abroad), health institutions, NGOs, foundations and philanthropic organizations, and government partners at both the state and central levels.
ABOUT THE POSITION
LEAD at Krea University has been playing a principal role in health for many years under different banners, but with the same enthusiasm, rigour, and intellectual curiosity. Thinking about the future, LEAD is positioning itself to expand its role and thought leadership in the sector. For this purpose, we are actively seeking a motivated, organized, and self-driven Senior Research Fellow- Health, who will anchor LEAD’s research agenda and portfolio in this sector.
We are looking for a professional with a strong background in public health and health economics with a robust understanding of the health landscape. The individual must have a demonstrated track record of connecting the dots across themes and issues (gender, social protection, environment, entrepreneurship, etc.). The successful candidate will be a strategic thinker and will also be able to manage and execute research projects in time, within budget, and keeping the highest standards of work.
The individual will lead and mentor research staff and work in close collaboration with senior team members to co-develop new research ideas, supervise research projects, and expand the team’s project portfolio. In the short term, she or he will be given a leading role on several high-level ongoing projects, while contributing to the development of the team’s project pipeline. The successful candidate will have excellent communication skills (both verbal and written) to be able to present the team’s research to various stakeholders and in various national and, possibly, international platforms through a wide range of mediums. Demonstrated experience conducting applied and experimental research (including conducting and designing evaluations) is essential and a strong understanding of financial inclusion is highly desirable.
- Set and execute the goals and strategic plan of the Health portfolio and agenda through operational and project management leadership.
- Lead and mentor staff in the research team and oversee the work of direct reports (3/4 research managers and research fellows).
- Provide technical inputs to research staff on policy-relevant research questions and identify knowledge gaps in the research work carried out under this theme.
- Be accountable for and provide substantial inputs into project design and implementation.
- Maintain a positive, constructive, and co-creative relationship with LEAD’s stakeholders and partners as well as contributee to grow the network.
- Provide leadership and be accountable for the development of new research ideas, and proposals. Provide thought leadership and monitor recent and relevant sector trends and develop plans on ways to expand LEAD’s health research agenda.
- Liaise with policymakers, regulators, and academia to identify gaps for action research and establish partnerships to expand the projects portfolio of the health team at LEAD.
- Be accountable, proactively contribute to, and lead the development of policy briefs, blog posts and other publications to consolidate LEAD’s thought leadership in this sector.
- Contribute to capacity building activities within LEAD.
SKILLS, EXPERIENCE and KNOWLEDGE
- Master’s degree or Ph.D in Public health, Medicine, Sociology, Economics, Development Economics, Political Science, Development Studies, or related disciplines.
- A minimum of 7 years of work experience (4 years with a PhD) in a progressively more responsible position in research, monitoring and evaluation, or implementation in the development sector, preferably in financial inclusion (at least 5 years of experience in financial inclusion are required);
- At least 4 years of experience in applied research and experimental methods;
- At least 2 years of experience in managing a team.
- Proven analytical skills, including, specifically, skills working with quantitative data using econometric methods;
- Excellent knowledge of current developments in inclusive finance, including one or more of the following: micro-insurance and micro-credit, social protection systems (DBTs, G2P), digital financial services, branchless banking.
- Working experience and knowledge of socio-economic issues, which results in the exclusion of various groups, such as women, migrants, tribal groups, from the financial sector and ability to generate strategies to address those issues;
- Demonstrated ability to develop research and evaluation plans, sampling frameworks and to implement them;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills;
- Proven ability to manage multi-tasking and propose solutions in a timely manner with nominal supervision;
- Capacity to maintain an organized and structured work style in a fast-paced environment;
- Ability to lead and manage the team
Strategy and Management
- Ability to guide and support the development and implementation of the Quality benchmarks and assurances in research projects;
- Helps to consolidate and disseminate ‘lessons learned’ and promotes a culture of openness and exchange;
- Keen sense of understanding donor needs, and ability to convert ideas to successful initiatives.
Internal and External Network
- Contribute to exchange good practices between other verticals and external agencies/delegations/ donors/ platforms;
- Foster and participate in ideas exchange platforms/ seminars/ webinars related exchanges with the sector stakeholders;
- Follow up on the latest developments related to the vertical and contribute as a thought leader to information dissemination and maintaining relations with stakeholders;
- Ability to demonstrate sensitivity to cultural differences and gender issues, as well as a commitment to equal opportunities.
- Ability to demonstrate an openness and willingness to learn.
- Ability to adapt quickly to changing environments and work with multiple stakeholders.
- Strong interpersonal skills, and willingness to interact with a wide range of individuals from Research Associates, Research Managers, etc. to academics, donors, research institutions, etc.