Krea University is setting up an Environment Hub that will initially focus on two key areas: (1) Resilient peri-urban environments, (2) Regenerative forest ecosystems. The Hub will focus on action research and implementation projects. We are seeking a Senior Project Manager to kick start the initiative and work in collaboration with various entities within the Krea ecosystem.
The Senior Project Manager (SPM) will be responsible for taking a lead role in managing activities and setting up the initiative. It will entail bringing sound project management experience to help in the planning and implementation of projects in the field. The SPM will have excellent writing and communication skills, good sectoral understanding and a creative and problem-solving outlook. The role will entail extensive partner management with the possibility of having to manage multiple partners. The role will also require the person to develop key relationships in the sector with governments, civil society, private sector etc. This role is ideal for someone who wants to pursue a career in policy in practice.
Responsibilities of the Position
- Plan, coordinate and execute the implementation of the Hub activities
- Overall project management
- Oversee the execution of activities (research/implementation) in the field
- Ensure that data collection meets quality standards
- Provide and seek inputs where necessary
- Provide leadership to the field operating team.
- Work in collaboration with key faculty at Krea
- Identify key challenges and develop appropriate solutions.
- Lead and manage engagements with a multitude of stakeholders/partners engaged in a project.
- Ensure appropriate structures and reporting mechanisms are in place
- Negotiation of acceptable costs and contract agreements with partners/suppliers.
- Effectively communicate with different stakeholders – written and verbal – i.e. to PIs, Survey Teams, Research Manager, Partners
- Timely response to requests
- Organize and delegate the work to be done among the project team members
- Manage administrative requirements of the project portfolio, including financial management, budgeting, procurement, contract set-up and compliance, grant reporting, deliverable tracking, etc. along with LEAD finance and grants team
- Prepare detailed budgets and work plans in coordination with the finance team and researchers
- Develop and maintain a good working relationship with partner organisations, finding people with whom we can Liaise with
- Interface with Policy Officer / Manager and get exposure to practitioner relevant articles/events etc
- Ensure timely submission of donor/grant reports – liaise with internal teams to gather appropriate information for submission
- Attend all partner meetings
Supervise the team (as and when they are hired)
Ensure all data management protocols are in place and being implemented
2. Capacity Building Activities
Writing and Dissemination
- Contribute to proposal writing
- Contribute to blogs and events related to project they are working on
- Provide up to date summaries of projects they are working on for website and other promotional activities (conference, e-newsletter, etc.)
- Provide research support to staff as required
- Collaborate in design and training as required
- Attend internal and external relevant training sessions for skill building
- Contribute to internal recruitment activities
Background and Qualifications
- Master’s Degree in Economics, Environmental Studies, Development, Management or other relevant degrees.
- 7 to 8 years of management experience in international development or related fields.
- Demonstrated ability to maintain an organized and structured work style in a fast-paced environment
- Proven ability to handle several different projects/tasks at one time, successfully complete tasks assigned, and meet deadlines.
- Experience with grant writing and budget management
- Previous experience of managing a team
- Ability to present and negotiate with senior members a plus and proven experience in managing high level partnerships.
Key Competencies / Attributes
- Independent worker; takes initiative to lead and manage multiple tasks and propose solutions with minimal supervision.
- Attention to detail and advanced writing and presentation skills for communicating with multiple partners. This requires clear, precise, non-technical writing, and creativity in presentation.
- Strong interpersonal skills, and willingness to interact with a wide range of individuals ranging from the broader environment ecosystem (NGOs, policy, private sector etc).
- The ability to work in a multicultural environment
Preferred Qualifications and Skills
- Knowledge of an Indian language
- South Asia regional experience
- Understanding of academic research
- Experience in working with governments and civil society. Solid understanding of Social Science Research methodology
- Strong understanding of environment and related issues
To apply, please send your CV and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line ‘Application for Senior Project Manager, Environment Hub’. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled.