We are seeking a motivated Senior Policy Associate for the Initiative What Works to Advance Women and Girls in the Economy (IWWAGE) at LEAD. The objective of this Initiative is to create a platform to promote, synthesize and generate evidence on “what works” for women’s economic empowerment. Despite making significant contributions to economies through various activities, women form a majority among economically disadvantaged groups. Women remain disproportionally affected by poverty, discrimination and exploitation. Evidence suggests that investing in women’s economic empowerment has important linkages with gender equality, human development, poverty eradication and inclusive growth. Several efforts have been devoted to studying the issue of women’s economic empowerment, however, evidence remains fragmented and the work is done in silos.
A Senior Policy Associate is being sought to work on IWWAGE’s policy engagement, advocacy and communication initiatives. The Senior Policy Associate will be part of the Policy, Advocacy and Communication team at IWWAGE and will liaise with other IWWAGE staff (i) develop key messages and help translate the findings from IWWAGE’s research and implementation projects for key audiences; (ii) support the Head and Senior Policy and Advocacy Manager with new and existing policy engagements; (iii) Undertake rapid policy and evidence analyses across various themes relevant to IWWAGE’s work; and undertake other relevant activities and work as needed.
- Work in collaboration with relevant IWWAGE staff on policy engagement opportunities and advocacy initiatives related to IWWAGE’s work;
- Identify opportunities for advancing IWWAGE’s mandate and advocacy agenda in India, as well as opportunities to showcase IWWAGE’s work regionally and internationally;
- Monitor trends in the women economic empowerment sector in India (macro-economic research, including women’s participation in different sectors), maintain deep knowledge of existing and forthcoming policies and regulations from a gendered perspective; and come up with a frequent (perhaps monthly) write up/blog/brief on these trends;
- Work with other team members, in-house/external researchers, and LEAD staff to identify key messages from research outputs to develop advocacy and research uptake plans and to share with key stakeholders;
- Undertake policy analyses, rapid evidence reviews, and analyse data to develop policy research outputs;
- Work with IWWAGE’s partners and sub-grantees to identify opportunities for stakeholder outreach, policy engagement and research uptake;
- Contribute to maintaining and updating website content, including drafting and editing content for new or existing web pages. This would involve liaising with other team members;
- Develop and maintain good working relationships with partner organizations: private sector, research think-tanks, donor bodies, policy makers through effective communication; and
- Contribute to and write regular blogs, opinion pieces and other media outputs.
- Post-Graduation (Preferably in Development Studies, Public Policy, Economics, Gender Studies, Political Science, Social Sciences, or related field is mandatory);
- Minimum of 2 years of significant and related work experience either in public policy, research/academia, or social impact
- Strong understanding and passion for working on issues related to gender equality and women’s economic empowerment
- Demonstrated experience in working on policy issues, stakeholder management and ability to build relationships
- Networking skills and demonstrated ability to interact with a varied set of stakeholders including Government officials, private sector and CSOs
- Ability to work within tight deadlines; adaptability to project needs and schedules
- Flexibility and ability to deal with uncertainty
- Ability to work independently on multiple projects
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral, particularly the ability to write for policy audiences
- Ability to interpret data from research to write for a policy audience
- Organized, critical thinking and attention to detail.
Terms of Employment
The salary range for this position is competitive and commensurate, based on qualifications and experience.
How to apply
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled. Please direct all applications to firstname.lastname@example.org with the title “Senior Policy Associate-IWWAGE” in the subject line.
Please send the following documents in your application:
- A cover letter summarising relevant experience and skills
- Two or more writing samples authored by the applicant