Employer: IWWAGE – an initiative of LEAD at Krea University
Contract type: 6 months with the possibility of extension to a year
Location: Anywhere in India (expected to travel)
Reporting To: PI Prof. Prabha Kotiswaran
Remuneration: INR 82,000 per month
Languages: English, Hindi (desirable)
Minimum Experience: Masters Degree
Initiative for What Works to Advance Women and Girls in the Economy (IWWAGE) aims to build on existing research and generate new evidence to inform and facilitate the agenda of women’s economic empowerment. IWWAGE is an initiative of LEAD, an action-oriented research centre of IFMR Society (a not for profit society registered under the Societies Act). LEAD has strategic oversight and brand support from Krea University (sponsored by IFMR Society) to enable synergies between academia and the research centre. IWWAGE is supported by the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation. For more information, visit www.iwwage.org.
About LEAD at Krea University:
LEAD is an action-oriented research centre of IFMR Society (a not-for-profit society registered under the Societies Act), that leverages the power of research, innovation, and co-creation to solve complex and pressing challenges in development. LEAD has strategic oversight and brand support from Krea University (sponsored by IFMR Society) to enable synergies between academia and the research centre. LEAD is a collaborative hub that brings experts from diverse disciplines and sectors together to develop innovative solutions by harnessing innovation, technology and analytics.
About the Position:
IWWAGE in collaboration with the Dickson Poon School of Law, King’s College London (KCL) invites applications for a position for a European Research Council-funded project titled the Laws of Social Reproduction. The project offers a cutting-edge, interdisciplinary lens to re-theorise the normative, empirical, regulatory and policy dimensions of the law’s regulation of social reproduction across five sectors of women’s labour. The project broadly conceptualises female reproductive labour to include unpaid domestic work as well as sex work, erotic dancing, commercial surrogacy and paid domestic work. Placing varied forms of reproductive labour along the market-marriage continuum, the proposed project offers four main work packages: (1) Normative: Articulate a feminist legal theory of reproductive labour and distributional analysis of the laws of social reproduction (2) Empirical: Consolidate and supplement through new empirical research the study of the political economies and legal ethnographies of sex work, erotic dancing, surrogacy, paid and unpaid domestic work to improve women’s economic bargaining power (3) Regulatory/Policy: Catalogue for any chosen sector, innovative economic models, legal and governance tools and policy proposals to enhance women’s economic bargaining power and (4) Political Impact: Shift political sensibilities by dissolving discursive and policy silos between these sectors.
The project has one position based at IWWAGE, Delhi focused on the surrogacy sector and is for a period of 6 months (full-time) with the possibility of extension to a year. The candidate can be based anywhere in India and will be expected to travel. The Associate will work closely with the Principal Investigator, Professor Prabha Kotiswaran, Dickson Poon School of Law, Kings College London.
The position’s main responsibilities are to conduct qualitative research in India, analyse the fieldwork data using suitable software, organise a major national-level workshop involving numerous stakeholders including academics, activists and policy-makers, publish academic outputs and disseminate the research findings of the project.
- MA or PhD awarded or PhD near completion in sociology, anthropology, economics, political science, geography or law.
- The ability to appreciate inter-disciplinary research
- Academic expertise in law, gender and feminism
- Good knowledge of written and spoken English
- Experience in conducting field research, conducting semi-structured interviews, analysing qualitative data using suitable software and managing a data-intensive project
- Writing to academic publication standard
- The ability to be a strong team player. Advanced knowledge or training in Indian law, and prior fieldwork on surrogacy are desirable.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Proven ability to be able to multi-task and propose solutions in a timely manner with nominal supervision
- Capacity to maintain an organized and structured work style in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to adapt quickly and respond confidently to changing environments and work with multiple stakeholders
- Strong interpersonal skills, and willingness to interact with a wide range of individuals
- Willingness to travel as required
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and manage others to meet tight deadlines and work collaboratively
• Deadline: Applications are being accepted until the position is filled.