Employer: LEAD at Krea University (IFMR)
Reporting To: Prof. Farzana Afridi (Head, Digital Labour Markets and WEE)
Duration: 2 months beginning January 2023, with the possibility of renewal
Salary: Competitive and Commensurate with qualifications and experience
Application Deadline: Applications will be received until the position is filled
About LEAD at Krea University:
LEAD is an action-oriented research centre of IFMR Society (a not-for-profit society registered under the Societies Act), that leverages the power of research, innovation, and co-creation to solve complex and pressing challenges in development. LEAD has strategic oversight and brand support from Krea University (sponsored by IFMR Society) to enable synergies between academia and the research centre. LEAD is a collaborative hub that brings experts from diverse disciplines and sectors together to develop innovative solutions by harnessing innovation, technology and analytics.
About the Position:
The position is for a Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation-funded project on digital labour markets and women’s economic empowerment hosted by IFMR. The Legal Consultant will be responsible for taking a lead role in driving the legal pathway to the existing legal framework for worker benefits/safety nets vis-à-vis traditional workers, relative to traditional workers and employers and their implications for the future growth of the sector. It will entail bringing sound legal expertise along with policy advocacy experience to help in charting the legal side of the research projects and meeting the necessary outcomes. The Consultant will have excellent writing and communication skills, good sectoral understanding and a creative and problem-solving outlook. This role is ideal for someone who wants to pursue a career in research, labour laws and policy in practice.
Review and Policy Advocacy
- Review existing labour laws and legal frameworks for workers on platforms. Examine the legalities around their work conditions, pay, health and accident insurance, other benefits and other safety nets.
- Review existing labour laws and legal frameworks from the employer’s perspective. Analyse their difference from standard employers.
- Deliberate on the status of platform employers different from those who mediate jobs through platforms.
- Identify key challenges and develop appropriate solutions with respect to the legalities pertaining to the workers in the platform sector.
- Provide recommendations on adjusting existing laws to accommodate the platform sector.
- Define policy advocacy pathways to the issues related to the workers on platforms and their employers.
- Drive the formulation of a White Paper on existing labour laws and legal framework for platform workers and through employer perspective.
- Effectively communicate to different stakeholders – written and verbal – i.e. to PIs, Survey Teams, Project Manager, and Partners.
- Timely response to requests.
Background and Qualifications:
- Master’s Degree or equivalent in Law (Specialising in Labor Law).
- PhD is a preferred criterion.
- 5 to 7 years of experience in a legal labour law firm.
- Demonstrated ability to maintain an organized and structured work style.
- Proven ability to handle several different projects/tasks at one time, successfully complete tasks assigned, and meet deadlines.
Key Competencies and Attributes
- Excellent written and spoken English.
- Independent worker; takes initiative to lead and manage multiple tasks and propose solutions with minimal supervision.
- Attention to detail and advanced writing and presentation skills for communicating with multiple partners.
Preferred Qualifications and Skills
- Understanding of academic research.
- Experience working with legal firms, donors, governments, and survey organizations.
Deadline: Applications are being accepted until the position is filled. The position will be contractual for a period of two months, with the possibility of renewal, and the salary will be competitive. Interested candidates must collate a CV clearly mentioning evidence of experience and expertise in the said tasks and apply in the form here.
Note: We are an equal opportunity employer and all candidates will be considered for employment. However, due to the large volume of applications we receive, we are unable to contact each candidate individually regarding the status of their application. Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted for interview purposes.