Duration of Position: Consultant – 1 Year
Employer: LEAD at Krea University
Location: National Mission Management Unit, Delhi
Reporting To: Project Head – STREE
Salary: Commensurate With Qualifications and Experience
Languages: English, Hindi (Desirable)
About LEAD at Krea University:
LEAD, an action-oriented research centre of IFMR Society (a not-for-profit society registered under the Societies Act), leverages the power of research, innovation and co-creation to solve complex and pressing challenges in development. LEAD has strategic oversight and brand support from Krea University (sponsored by IFMR Society) to enable synergies between academia and the research centre. LEAD is a collaborative hub that brings experts from diverse disciplines and sectors together to develop innovative solutions by harnessing innovation, technology and analytics.
In 2019, The World Bank and the Government of India signed an agreement for the National Rural Economic Transformation Project (NRETP). The project aspires to support women-led enterprise development by enabling access to finance, building markets and networks, and generating employment opportunities in rural areas. NRETP is currently being implemented across 13 states, 161 districts and 584 blocks and aims to support 80,000 rural enterprises by June 2023.
To further support NRLM’s vision of creating a robust enabling entrepreneurial ecosystem for women in rural India under NRETP, STREE – Solutions for Transformative Rural Enterprises and Empowerment, was constituted in December 2019. It is a technical assistance initiative spearheaded by LEAD at Krea University that aims to drive women-led enterprise development, with research at the core of its work.
The program comprises a Technical Assistance (TA) unit embedded at the National Mission Management Unit, NRLM and the Madhya Pradesh SRLM. They are supported by the Strategic Coordination Unit (SCU) which synergizes LEAD’s research expertise and partnerships with domain experts to deliver quality, implementation-oriented research outputs and low-cost, high-impact scalable pilots for enterprise promotion. The TA and SCU are complementary units under STREE intended to intensify NRETP efforts through system strengthening and adroit programming.
The STREE initiative is supported by the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation.
The Enterprise Development Expert will be placed at the National Mission Management Unit of the NRLM as part of the TA unit and work closely with the Non-farm Livelihoods team in delivering the National Rural Economic Transformation Program (NRETP).
- Support State Rural Livelihood Missions (SRLMs) for the promotion of non-farm enterprises of the SHG members; the support is for individual and group enterprises, clusters and value chain projects
- Provide technical guidance to the states including identifying potential sectors for enterprise development (cluster/ individual/ group), developing proposals and diagnostic studies, detailed project reports, developing business advisory to types of enterprises etc.
- Support States to develop eco-system for technical support including technical experts, institutions including government and private sector, training institutions, etc., and identify relevant institutional forms like producer enterprises, societies, and partnership firms for clusters.
- Facilitate partnerships with stakeholders including financial institutions, CSR organizations, training organizations, and government line departments for achieving program objectives
- Monitoring the implementation of the various projects and support states in course correction wherever necessary
- Develop policy notes, guidance notes, guidelines and other documents at the National level for supporting programme implementation
- Candidates with a Post-Graduation degree or graduate with a full-time two years Diploma in management from an institute of national and international repute or with professional qualifications like CA/ICWA/CFA
- Essential: 7-10 years of work experience out of which S/he must have at least 5 years experience at a middle management level of working in operations for-profit enterprise / in implementing non-farm livelihood interventions.
Preference will be given to:
- Experience in managing a large-scale program in non-farm livelihoods promotion for rural poor and /or experience in enterprise promotion, business advisory services, forward and backward linkages
- Programme management skills with experience counted in terms of the ability to navigate procurement of partners, manage partnerships with them and lead a dispersed team of experienced professionals/experts
- Strong data-based decision-making and data analysis skills
- Track record of working with rural areas and promoting non-farm livelihoods of rural communities
- Language: Proficiency in spoken and written English and Hindi is required. Working knowledge of any of the NRETP state language/s is desirable but not essential.
- Deadline: Applications are being accepted and reviewed until the position is filled
- Please collate your resume and writing sample in one PDF and apply in the form here. Please indicate in the subject line that you are applying for Enterprise Development Expert. Female candidates will be preferred.
Note: Due to the large volume of applications we receive, we are unable to contact each candidate individually regarding the status of their application. Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted for interview purposes.