Position: Economist – Institute for What Works to Advance Gender Equality (IWWAGE)
Employer: IWWAGE at LEAD at Krea University
Location: New Delhi
Reporting To: Principal Economist
Assignment Length: Full-time position
Salary: Commensurate with qualifications and experience
IWWAGE stands for the Institute for What Works to Advance Gender Equality at LEAD at Krea University. The objective of this Institute is to create a platform to promote, synthesize and generate evidence on “what works” for women’s economic empowerment. Despite making significant contributions to economies through various activities, women form a majority among economically disadvantaged group. Women remain disproportionately affected by poverty, discrimination and exploitation. Evidence suggests that investing in women’s economic empowerment has important linkages with gender, equality, poverty eradication and inclusive growth. Several efforts have been devoted to studying the issue of women’s economic empowerment, however, evidence remains fragmented and work done in silos. IWWAGE aims to work towards adding to the existing efforts.
About the Position:
We are actively seeking a qualified, self-driven and thorough researcher, preferably trained in Economics, Development Studies, Gender Studies, other Social Sciences, for leading, overseeing and carrying forward the research agenda of IWWAGE. The candidate is expected to have a clear understanding of the current issues around women’s work and labour markets should be experienced in using extensive research methodologies to perform detailed research. He/she is expected to be able to analyse large and complex secondary data sets as well as be able to conduct small scale studies to collect evidence on ‘what works’, analyse the evidence using quantitative research techniques. He/she is expected to communicate research in the form of external and internal publications. The researcher is also expected to have excellent communication, team management and critical thinking skills in order to be able to present his/her research to various stakeholders and in various national and international platforms. The candidate is expected to mentor and supervise a team of researchers to improve their capacities and skills for better quality research outputs. The Economist is also expected to contribute substantially to proposal development and responses to aligned call for proposals in collaboration with LEAD. He/She would be working closely with the IWWAGE and LEAD research protocols and policy advocacy team and assist the research lead in executing the core research deliverables, including managing existing project deliverables. The candidate should be willing to travel, whenever necessary.
- Support and lead in establishing the broader research agenda of IWWAGE;
- Monitoring the research projects as per the research plan of action;
- Manage administrative requirements of the project portfolio, including financial management, budgeting, procurement, contract set-up and compliance, grant reporting, deliverable tracking, etc.
- Coordinate with project teams to ensure timely submission of financial reports and projections, and sub-grantee/contract reports and deliverabls in the portfolio to keep projects running smoothly;
- Collaborate in design and training as required;
- Contribute to custom trainings for partner organizations;
- Contribute actively in managing project deadlines, maintaining timelines, reviewing outputs and coordinating with funders/research/academic partners/external stakeholders etc;
- Inspire and motivate a team with effective management skills, coordinate tasks and define a road map to complete projects successfully;
- Contribute to the hiring process of project-related positions;
- Provide feedback and build team capacity of the research assistants and young researchers/interns and fellows at IWWAGE;
- Contribute in developing proposals for new research opportunities;
- Publish articles in peer-reviewed national and international journals, opinion pieces for magazines and newspapers, blog pieces;
- Ensure compliance with LEAD’s research protocols across all project activities to maintain the integrity and the quality of research;
- Any other task assigned by the supervisor.
- PhD in Economics or advanced degree in Economics/Development studies/Public Policy/Gender studies with a minimum of 12 years of professional experience;
- Solid understanding of gender and employment issues;
- Advanced knowledge of social science research methods, especially quantitative;
- Proven analytical skills, including working with quantitative data using econometric methods;
- Knowledge of STATA, R, SAS, or related programming languages is required;
- Proven ability to manage multi-tasking and propose solutions on time with nominal supervision;
- Capacity to maintain an organized and structured work style in a fast-paced environment;
- Ability to adapt quickly to changing environments and work with multiple stakeholders
- Excellent oral and written communication skills;
- Strong interpersonal skills and willingness to work in a team.
- Deadline: Applications are being accepted until the position is filled.
- Please collate resume, cover letter and writing sample in one PDF and apply in the form here. Kindly select the position title Economist category while applying. Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
Note: Due to the large volume of applications we receive, we are unable to contact each candidate individually regarding the status of their application. Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted for interview purposes.