Duration of Position: Permanent
Employer: LEAD at Krea University
Location: Chennai, New Delhi or Kolkata
Reporting To: Senior Data Scientist
Salary: Commensurate with qualifications and experience
Languages: English, Hindi (desirable)
Minimum Experience: 5/6 years
About LEAD at Krea University:
LEAD, an action-oriented research centre of IFMR Society (a not-for-profit society registered under the Societies Act), leverages the power of research, innovation and co-creation to solve complex and pressing challenges in development. LEAD has strategic oversight and brand support from Krea University (sponsored by IFMR Society) to enable synergies between academia and the research centre. LEAD is a collaborative hub that brings experts from diverse disciplines and sectors together to develop innovative solutions by harnessing innovation, technology and analytics.
About the Position:
We believe that data is a powerful resource that can advance the research outputs in the development sector and create a high social impact. We are actively seeking a self-driven Data Scientist who will drive the data strategy of LEAD along with the senior management team. The candidate will lead the advanced analytics and AI/ML work at LEAD in collaboration with senior team members. He/she will develop analytics-focused research agenda that will help address current policy gaps in sectors that LEAD works. The person will work closely with the research teams to produce data-driven insights from the current portfolio of projects. He/she is expected to utilize his/her analytical, statistical and programming skills to analyze and interpret large datasets.
- To work closely with the Senior Data Scientist to provide inputs and shape the data strategy of LEAD.
- To work closely with the research team of different verticals to develop impactful data focussed use cases that complement the research agenda.
- To develop AI/ML use cases that are relevant to LEAD’s research agenda and have a high social impact.
- To contribute to the capacity building team members and build a strong data innovations team at LEAD.
- To improve and data management process at LEAD and ensure compliance with the latest data privacy regulations.
- To liaise with policymakers, regulators and academia to identify knowledge gaps and expand the research agenda where relevant.
- To identify strategic partners who can complement our strengths and co-develop concept notes with a multi-disciplinary approach.
- To support the research outputs of LEAD by developing interactive dashboards and improving data visualization outputs.
- Masters in Computer Science, Business Analytics, Economics or other relevant fields.
- Minimum 5 years of experience with at least 2 years working in the development sector.
- Highly proficient in data science toolkits like Python or R. Highly proficient in SQL and any of the GIS applications.
- Advance knowledge of statistics or econometrics is a plus.
- Demonstrated experience in developing machine learning use cases and interactive dashboards.
- Strong aptitude in applying data science methods to real-world data problems using quantitative approaches.
- Proven experience to manage multiple tasks and propose solutions in a timely manner with nominal supervision.
- Capacity to maintain an organized and structured work style in a fast-paced environment.
- Solid ability to work independently and manage others to meet tight deadlines and work collaboratively.
- Drive to think of innovative solutions and find multiple ways to solve a data challenge.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills to convey technical findings to a non-technical audience with ease.
• Deadline: Applications are being accepted until the position is filled.
• Please collate resume and cover letter in one PDF and apply in the form here.
Note: Due to the large volume of applications we receive, we are unable to contact each candidate individually regarding the status of their application. Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted for interview purposes.