Position: Research Associate
Employer: LEAD at Krea University
Reporting To: Prof. Farzana Afridi (Head, Digital Labour Markets and WEE from Indian Statistical Institute, Delhi), Tanu Gupta (Indian Statistical Institute, Delhi), Kanika Mahajan (Ashoka University), Rachel Heath (University of Washington)
Salary: Competitive and Commensurate with qualifications and experience
Duration: April 1, 2023 to 31 March 2024
Application Deadline: Applications will be received until the position is filled
About LEAD at Krea University:
LEAD is an action-oriented research centre of IFMR Society (a not-for-profit society registered under the Societies Act), that leverages the power of research, innovation, and co-creation to solve complex and pressing challenges in development. LEAD has strategic oversight and brand support from Krea University (sponsored by IFMR Society) to enable synergies between academia and the research centre. LEAD is a collaborative hub that brings experts from diverse disciplines and sectors together to develop innovative solutions by harnessing innovation, technology and analytics.
About the Position:
This project is funded by the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation. It aims to understand how digital labour markets can enhance women’s labour force participation. The researchers aim to utilise both secondary data and undertake field studies to collect primary data. The PIs will be utilising household-level survey data that will be collected for the project via household and individual interviews in primarily urban locations.
This is an excellent opportunity for those interested in undertaking empirical research work in the future. The project will expose the Research Associate to various survey methodologies, fieldwork, data handling and analytical tools. They will also get to handle the work independently on the ground which is valuable for future research work. The candidate will be expected to contribute actively to the project by providing regular updates to the PIs alongside the below-mentioned responsibilities.
- Master’s degree in Economics from a recognised University.
- Ability to work with STATA and Excel.
- Excellent management and organisational skills.
- Willing to learn and adapt to new situations that may arise during the surveys.
- Resourceful and ensure that surveys are carried out as efficiently as possible.
- Excellent communication skills in Kannada will be an added advantage.
- Excellent practical problem-solving and analytical skills.
- Literature review and secondary data analysis
- Liaison with research partners – policy and private sector
- Assisting in developing survey tools.
- Ensuring smooth collection of survey data. This includes conducting field surveys, overseeing other surveyors and ensuring smooth operation of the same.
- Handling logistics and administration processes of the worker surveys independently.
- The candidate is expected to constantly give updates about the field trips and any observations during the same to the PIs.
- Data cleaning and data entry. The candidate is expected to oversee other enumerators and help in the data cleaning and data entry stage.
- Data analysis under the guidance of the PIs.
Deadline: Applications are being accepted until the position is filled. Please send a CV clearly mentioning evidence of experience and expertise in the said tasks and apply in the form here.
Note: We are an equal opportunity employer and all candidates will be considered for employment. However, due to the large volume of applications we receive, we are unable to contact each candidate individually regarding the status of their application. Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted for interview purposes.