Employer: LEAD at Krea
Location: New Delhi, Ministry of Rural Development
Assignment type: Extended Term Consultant (contract renewable annually)
Salary: Commensurate with qualifications and experience
About LEAD at Krea University
LEAD, an action-oriented research centre of IFMR Society (a not-for-profit society registered under the Societies Act), leverages the power of research, innovation and co-creation to solve complex and pressing challenges in development. LEAD has strategic oversight and brand support from Krea University (sponsored by IFMR Society) to enable synergies between academia and the research centre. LEAD is a collaborative hub that brings experts from diverse disciplines and sectors together to develop innovative solutions by harnessing innovation, technology and analytics.
Krea University is an emerging liberal arts institution offering multidisciplinary undergraduate programs which equip students to find their niche in the fluid, interconnected world of development. ‘Krea’ means an action-oriented approach in Sanskrit. The world-class University is home to the School of Interwoven Arts and Sciences (SIAS), IFMR Graduate School of Business and LEAD.
About the Project
In 2018, through the National Rural Economic Transformation Project (NRETP), the Ministry of Rural Development (MoRD) and the World Bank collaborated to build on the learnings from DAY-NRLM and pilot a new generation of economic initiatives including high-growth entrepreneurship models in 13 low-income states of India. The project aims to support about eighty thousand rural enterprises by June 2023.
To further propel NRLM’s vision of creating a robust enabling entrepreneurial ecosystem for women in rural India, a technical assistance program, Solutions for Transformative Rural Enterprises and Empowerment (STREE) was set-up. The STREE program is spearheaded by LEAD at Krea University and is supported by the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation. The primary aim of STREE is to ensure institutional support mechanisms are in place, to enable women to manage higher-order and more entrepreneurial ventures in the non-farm space.
About the Role
- Support State Rural Livelihood Missions (SRLMs) for the promotion of Cluster Development Projects across sectors like Handloom, Handicraft, Food business, Apparel stitching and traditional Industries of SHG members etc.
- Provide technical guidance to the states for identifying potential sectors for cluster development, analysis of primary and secondary data sets, preparation of scoping studies, Diagnostic Studies, Detailed Project Reports (DPRs), preparation of implementation plans etc.
- Support States to identify the relevant institutional forms like Producer Enterprises, Societies, Partnership firms in the proposed Clusters.
- Facilitate partnerships with stakeholders including financial institutions, CSR organizations, training organizations, government line departments and market partners for the clusters.
- Monitoring the implementation of the various projects and support states in course correction wherever necessary to meet programme objectives.
- Develop policy notes, guidance notes, guidelines and other documents at the National level for supporting programme implementation
Background and Qualifications
- Candidates with a Post-Graduation degree or graduate with a full time two years Diploma in management from an institute of national and international repute or with professional qualifications like CA/ICWA/CFA.
7-10 years of work experience out of which S/he must have at least 5 years’ experience at a middle management level of working in operations for profit enterprise / in implementing non-farm livelihood interventions including cluster development programmes/Farmer Producer Organizations (FPOs)
Preference will be given to
- Experience of managing a large-scale program in non-farm livelihoods promotion for rural areas and /or experience in enterprise promotion, business advisory services, forward and backward linkages.
- Experience of working in Cluster development programmes or working with Farmer Producer Organizations (FPO) at the implementation level for at least two years.
- Experience of working with MSMEs for at least two years including work in clusters.
- Experience of developing and implementing marketing strategy for handloom and handicraft products
- Track record of working with rural areas and promoting non-farm livelihoods of rural communities
- Programme management skills with experience counted in terms of ability to navigate procurement of partners, managing partnership with them and leading a dispersed team of experience professionals/experts
- Strong data-based decision making and data analysis skills
- Language: Proficiency in spoken and written English and Hindi is required. Working knowledge of any of the NRETP state language/s is desirable but not essential.
- Deadline: Applications are being accepted and reviewed until the position is filled.
- To apply, please submit a resume, cover letter, and writing sample.
- Please direct queries and applications to firstname.lastname@example.org with the title “Cluster Development Expert-STREE” in the subject line.